Domestic Violence

You may be eligible for legal aid if you can prove that you or your children have been victims of domestic abuse or violence and you are unable to pay legal fees.

What counts as proof?

You will need to show evidence that you or your children were at risk of harm from your ex-partner. Many organisations can help you attain this evidence.

You can ask for evidence from:

  • The Police
  • The Courts
  • A domestic violence support service
  • A multi-agency risk assessment conference (MARAC)
  • Social Services
  • A health professional, e.g., doctors, nurses, psychologists

How to get the evidence?

You can print off a sample letter to send to any of the organisations above which will help you request that evidence. The person you are asking for evidence should be able to fill this out for you. You should keep in mind that they may charge you a fee.

Next steps?

Once you have the evidence, show this to a legal aid solicitor or a CLA advisor.

Get in Touch Today